Monday, February 25, 2008

Broken Bones (graphic warning)

Morning everyone

As you can imagine, most of my weekend was spent thinking about Eduardo da Silva and the horriffic injury he suffered in the 3rd minute of the match at Birmingham on Saturday.

I went to Manchester on Friday (took Harry Jnr to the excellent travelling Blackpool fairground) and didn't leave for home until lunchtime Saturday so I knew I'd have to record the match. I called in to see a mate who lives near Barny Castle on the way back and arrived home at about 16:00. Another friend, who is off on a months holiday crossing the US (he's starting in Hawaii and ending in Florida, where he then goes on a cruise), called in to borrow some books and I told him I didn't know the result. He promised not to tell me but said it wasn't the result I would be bothered about. And through one thing or another it was about 11pm when I sat down to watch.

3 minutes into the game Martin Taylor attempted to tackle Eduardo, who was just too quick for him. A lot has been said over the last 2 days about what a nice guy Taylor is and how he would never try to injure a fellow player on purpose.

Maybe so, but from the first picture you can see that the tackle is not only late but is very very high.



After the match Arsene Wenger made comments around Taylor and called for him to be banned for life. He later retracted the comments saying that they had been made in the heat of the moment.

What is incredible is the amount of press that have concentrated on Wengers comments and even some who have said the tackle didn't even rate a yellow card. This really does confirm that the press are, and alweays have been, negative toward Arsenal FC.

Below are 2 more pictures showing the extent of the injury. There are some reports that it is a double compound fracture and some that just the fibula is broken.





My best wishes go out to Eduardo and his family. Here's to a speedy recovery although I suspect it will be a long time before we see him play again... and that is by no means guarunteed.

Today's blog is brought to you by the Sugababes, Keisha (23), Heidi (24) and Amelle (23). I wouldn't like to choose between them, I guess I'd have to suggest a foursome... but if it was one or none I'd have no hesitation in choosing Heidi.



On this day: Adolf Hitler obtains German citizenship by naturalization, which allows him to run in the 1932 election for Reichsprasident (1932)

On the car iPod: Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder

Talk Hard!
H.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home